Monday, July 1, 2013

Experimenting with variable-sized heddles

    After seeing a discussion on Ravelry about the Majacraft dynamic heddle rigid heddle loom that has variable-sized segments of heddles, I had to try it for myself.  Not having $500 plus for the Majacraft, gorgeous as it is, I tried something else.  Here's a link to the discussion; you have to be a member of Ravelry to see it, but it's free to join.

    I purchased RH segments from Village Spin and Weave.  Folks use these segments for backstrap and other narrow weaving, and since they only cost $6.25 to $8.25 each, the outlay is small.  These are solid, sturdy plastic, made by Schacht (based on the name "Schacht" embedded in the plastic), a bit thicker than the plastic in my Ashford Knitters Loom heddles, and a bit less tall than the AKL heddles, but they're all the same height.

    My DH made me a wooden frame for the segments so that I can use them all together in whatever order I choose. The frame he made looks the same as the wooden frames for the heddles I already have.  I put the heddle segments I want to use in the frame, and hold the whole thing together with rubber bands.  Here's a picture from warping: 


    While direct warping, I was more careful than usual, as I didn't want the heddle to fall apart and leave me with a big snarl.

    From warping the scarf I'm using to play with the segments, I can already see some issues ahead.

First, the different thicknesses of the yarn will mean tension problems, so I will need to add something on the back beam for the skinnier yarn to keep the tension consistent.

Second, I think I need to get some more rubber bands, to make sure this holds together as I move the heddle up and down while I weave.

Third, the holes (vs. the slots) in the segments are not as tall as those in my AKL.  Don't know if this will make a difference or not.

Fourth, finishing will be interesting, with all these different yarns.  I used stash yarns for the warp, and will be using more stash yarns for the weft, so it's a real mix - cotton carpet warp, bulky variegated yarn (wool/acrylic), wool worsted weight, acrylic sport weight.

Fifth, there can be gaps between the segments.  Don't know if this will cause tracking, but since it's between different-sized yarns already, I don't think any tracking will be noticeable.

    Can't wait to see what develops.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. After moderation, your comment will be added to the blog. Thanks for participating!